The Voyage of the Dawn Treader:
This unit study is based on the book Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis and it was created by Amber Ballew from Missouri.
files of papers
disorderly crowd of people
cleaned by scrubbing
payment in acknowledgment of submission
unsettled, irresponsible people
- Why did Bern send a messenger to warn his friends at Narrowhaven?
(So that they could influence how the people would react to Caspian and his men. They started cheering, and pretty soon almost the whole town was gathered to watch the king go by.)
- What finally caught the Governor's attention?
(Caspian saying that the overdue tribute should be paid by the governor himself.)
- Why did Lord Bern's plan work?
(Because it wasn't anything like what Governor Gumpus would've done, and the governor couldn't think of anyone bluffing in such dangerous circumstances.)
- What did Caspian call the kind of progress and development that allowed the slave trade?
(He likened it to an egg, and called it "going bad.")
- Why did Caspian replace Gumpus?
(Because Gumpus would not abolish the slave trade.)
- Why was Pug's life forfeit? Why did Caspian allow him to live?
(Pug's life was forfeit because he kidnapped and sold the king of Narnia. Caspian allowed him to live because Caspian had hidden his identity.)
- What did the two Calormen merchants want?
(They wanted their money back for the slaves they had purchased.)
- What is a minum worth?
(A minum is the fortieth part of a crescent.)
- As what did Caspian appoint Lord Bern?
(As Duke of the Lone Islands.)
- How long could the Dawn Treader sail eastward before turning back?
(The Dawn Treader could sail eastward for two weeks.)
- What tales did Caspian hear about lands beyond the Lone Islands?
(Tales of islands inhabited by headless men, waterspouts, floating islands, and a fire that burned along the water.)
- What did one sailor say that delighted Reepicheep?
(That Aslan's country was there, but beyond the world's end, so you couldn't sail to it.)
- Write a story about what you think is beyond the Lone Islands.
- Finish Lord Bern's story. Did Calormen make war with the Lone Islands? You decide.
- Read about Christopher Columbus and his voyages. What similarities do you see between his story and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader?
Next: Chapter 5